Built Heritage Fund
The demolition in August, 2010, of the 135 year old Methodist Episcopal Church, an iconic landmark on Main Street, Picton, brought a few concerned citizens together to discuss how important historic structures in the County could be saved. They realized that without intervention many of these buildings could be lost to us – and to future generations. Thus the first Christmas House Tour Committee was formed and the first Christmas House Tour was held in December 2010. The reputation of the annual tour grows every year, with proceeds mounting in a fund designated for the preservation and protection of built structures determined to be important to the community and the history of Prince Edward County.
In 2015 the Committee made the first grants. Past projects recognized include:
- White Chapel Roof;
- Tower restoration at St Mary Magdalene; and
- Window maintenance at the Picton Branch of the PEC Public Library.
- The Falconer House – Kitchen Wing (1 Walton Street);
- Ameliasburg Museum and Archives – Roof;
- The Regent Theatre Foundation – East Wall Repairs.
- Picton United Church, Stained Glass Window Restoration
- The Chapel at Glenwood Cemetery – Masonry and Woodwork Restoration;
- The Cooper House (Music at Port Milford) – Masonry;
- Athol Town Hall – Entrance Restoration;
- Vic Cafe @ The Regent Theatre – windows;
- The Wellington Hotel – intricate wood work;
- The Green Barn – DeVries Collection (Ameliasburgh Heritage Village)
Christmas House Tour
Plans are now underway for our 10th Anniversary Christmas House Tour, to be held on Sunday December 1, 2019, from 11 am to 5 pm.
Interested in going on the Tour or being on the Tour? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Save The Day” Grant
Purpose of the Grant: to offer a specified amount of interim funding which will aid the preservation, protection, or restoration of a heritage* structure within the geographic area of Prince Edward County deemed historically or culturally significant to the community. The Grants Committee will also consider heritage murals or facades.
*“Heritage” does not necessarily imply official designation.
Eligibility of Project:the project must be within the Municipality of Prince Edward County. The project must meet a “bricks and mortar” definition. Grants will not be awarded for regular maintenance, ongoing operating costs, administration fees, salaries, deficits, debt reduction, and the like. The project must have a well-defined purpose related to the preservation of the structure and it must take place within one year of receiving the grant.
Eligibility for Grant Recipients: the Applicant must be a Qualified Donee as defined by the Income Tax Act, or be working in collaboration with a Qualified Donee. Qualified Donees include registered charities, municipalities, schools, universities, Member of the Picton Business Improvement Association (BIA) and other categories. If you are uncertain about your charitable status, you can visit the Canada Revenue Agency at: www.cra-arc.gc.ca/chrts-gvng/lstngs/menu-eng.html.
If you are not a Qualified Donee, but are working in partnership with a Qualified Donee, you must attach a letter to your application providing full details, ie your partner organization’s name and charitable business number, contact information and principals involved, as well as their support of and reason for involvement in the project.
How to Apply
It is advised that you contact The County Foundation well in advance of the submission deadline to discuss eligibility and the application process.
The County Foundation
- It is understood and agreed that a site visit by the Grant Selection Team may be required as part of the evaluation process.
- If your application is successful, you agree to hosting a sign on the project property for a limited time acknowledging the grant from the Fund. Upon completion of your project, you will be required to complete a Final Report to be submitted to The County Foundation. A follow-up visit by our Grant Selection Team may also be required. The Final Report is intended to help you evaluate the project and to help us evaluate the effectiveness of our grants on enhancing and strengthening the quality of life in our community.
The application deadline is April 15, 2019 at 12:00 noon.
For further assistance, please contact email@example.com
Please submit your application to:
The County Foundation
280 Main Street, Suite 103
Picton ON K0K 2T0