The Willi Fida Culinary Bursary
The Willi Fida Culinary Bursary was established by the friends and family of Willi Fida, to honour his pioneering efforts to develop fine culinary experiences in Prince Edward County. Willi Fida was born in Austria, trained as a chef and worked in many fine restaurants before moving to the County to open Angeline’s Restaurant in Bloomfield in 1988. Willi was a great promoter of the County, and made every effort to showcase locally grown food. He gradually attracted other chefs to the area, thereby helping to establish the County as a culinary mecca. He passed away in 2007. His two children, Alexandre and Melanie, continue to run the restaurant. Each year, a bursary of $1,500 shall be awarded up to two young people (under 30 years of age) from Prince Edward County who are pursuing a post-secondary culinary education.
- The Willi Fida Educational Bursary is open to youth up to 30 years of age residing in Prince Edward County.
- Students must be seeking full-time admission to a program in culinary education.
How to Apply
- A written letter of introduction that provides an overview outlining your school and community activities. Be specific in listing any leadership activities, special projects or initiatives, including what motivates you to pursue culinary education and what your ambitions are after school.
- Two letters of recommendation from a direct supervisor (work, school, community agency, etc). The letters should cover such topics as your academic motivation and growth potential, your creativity, self-discipline and leadership qualities, and your personal initiative. The letters must include contact information for the person writing the letter.
- Your most recent high school transcript.
- A copy of the letter of acceptance from your post-secondary institution.
- Please complete and sign the Application Form
Selection ProcessThe County Foundation evaluates applications in the following four areas:
- Academic competence
- Participation in extra-curricular activities in school, the community, work or as a volunteer, i.e. demonstrated initiative.
- Desire for a culinary career as described in your own words
- Culinary experience to date (work, courses, etc.)